Pages

Thursday, July 25, 2013

In memory

Dear husband,

Four years ago, a tragedy occurred and suddenly your dad was gone. I know you think of that day more than you mention, and I'm sure you mention it less than you want to. I can only imagine how hard it must be to live in that space where you aren't sure if you want to remember or forget.

That day, our lives were changed forever. The following weeks and months and years were fraught with despair, hope, and learning how to keep on going. It hurts to dig into those memories but it fills me with a keen sense of overwhelming gratefulness to look back and see how God's presence was holding us up.

During that time I watched as people I had rarely heard mention of pulled you aside to tell you stories and ask how they could help. I remember how much FOOD there was at the memorial service. I saw the healing continue years later when you spoke in church, and the outpouring of support and the sense of solidarity that followed.

We redefined a lot of words four years ago, like "grief" and "mourning". What had been abstract concepts became very real, and then they threatened to be the only reality. But we also learned the meaning of God's peace, hope, and faithfulness, and you refused to be crushed.

Today, you are filled with the joy of the Lord.
Today, you are closer to your family.
Today, you know that you are stronger than you would have believed.
Today, you are the very image of restoration, hope, and renewed life.

You have touched lives with your story and your perseverance, Trev, and I am blessed by you every single day. I miss your dad, and I'll always wish I could have had the chance to get to know him better, but I'm thankful for the times I had with him and thankful for the memories you've shared with me. I have no doubt that he would be so proud of the man, husband, brother, uncle and friend you are today.


No comments:

Post a Comment